After a bit of a spreadsheet debacle, everything was sorted out. and here you go, apologies for any confusion! It was our first night (and I still blame Microsoft!).
Place, Team, final score
16) Mulva - 41
15) Binge Thinkers - 43 - won swag, Mulva left before they could collect (of course, they might've left because in the original tally they didn't get last.)
14) Leave the Gun, Take the Canoli - 44
13) 30 cents a Pound - 45
13) Mittens - 47
11) Sausages and Plants and Goldfish - 47
10) Froggy Style 49
9) Burn in Hell Jerry Falwell - 50
8) Trusted Since 1890 - 51
7) Monkey Kings - 55
6) NAMBLA's Shooting a Video and We're Looking for a good DP - 56
5) Sherm - 59
5) Quizteama Aguilera - 59
3) Three Tacos for $20000 Schrutebucks - 61 - won $20!
2) Bald Freeholder Priest - 65 - won $52!!
1) Husker Don't - 67 - won $120!!!
ROUND 1 – Historical Rivers and Borders Geography
1. What direction does the Niagara River flow?
2. In what modern-day country would you find the mouth of the Syr-Daria, which marked the northern border of Alexander the Great’s empire?
3. Besides Jordan, name one of the other two countries that border the Jordan River.
4. What river formed the southern border of the ancient Anasazi people?
5. 12,000 years ago massive ice blocked the Clark Fork River forming a massive prehistoric lake that covered much of western Montana. What was the name of this lake?
6. This renowned river marked the edge of the Roman Republic to the north and by Roman law it was forbidden to cross it with an army.
7. This riverbed in Western Washington has been dry since 1916 when the Lake Washington Ship Canal was opened and the Cedar River was rerouted, effectively cutting off its drain and source respectively.
8. The Euphrates River is one of two rivers that together help formed the Cradle of Civilization. What is the other?
9. This state capital on the Missouri river shares no letters with the state it’s located in. What is the capital and state?
10. The Thames River bisects London. What popular British soap opera features an aerial view of the river in its opening credits?
ROUND 2 – The Stanley Cup
1. Oddly enough, the original Stanley Cup was not made in Canada. Where was the first Stanley Cup forged? A) England B) USA C) France
2. In the US, how many cups of liquid measure equal one gallon?
3. In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Harrison Ford proclaims "that's the cup of a carpenter." To what artifact is he referring?
4. Believe it or not, Seattle won the Stanley Cup in 1917, defeating the Montreal Canadiens three games to one in a best of five series. What was the name of the Seattle team?
5. Named for a 19th century prime minister, a cup of what popular English tea is flavored with Bergamot Orange?
6. According to Victoria's Secret, if your band size is 34 and your bust size is 37, what is the most appropriate bra size for you?
7. Like a standard/western poker deck, a Tarot deck has four suits, one of which is Cups. Name two of the other three suits of the Rider tarot deck
8. Works by John Milton, Isaac Newton and Stephen Hawking have all been published by an organization known as CUP. What does it stand for?
9. According to Starbucks.com, How many retail Starbucks locations are there within 5 miles of the Old Pequiliar? (answer within 5)
10. Who are the current Stanley Cup Champions? i.e., who won the Cup last year?
ROUND 3 – Seattle Kicks Ass
1. Seattle’s famed Coliseum theatre located downtown and known as the first of the world’s movie palaces is now a what?
2. What popular cartoon features a parody of the Space Needle called “The Sea Needle”
3. Within one year when was Ballard annexed into Seattle?
4. How many playoff appearances have the Mariners had?
5. Ezell’s famous fried chicken is the chicken of choice for what celebrity?
6. What is the name of the bronze pig in Pike Place Market?
7. Vitamin R is a nickname for what local beverage?
8. The coffee shop featured prominently in the film Singles was better known as what famous local music venue?
9. How many Dick’s restaurants are there?
10. There is one other Lusty Lady in the world. What city is it located in?
ROUND 4 - Picture Round
Name the World Capital that shares a name with these people
ROUND 5 – Crimes and Myth-demeanors – Greek mythological law-breakers
1. Oedipus is known as the father murdering, mother banging hero of Thebes. By what name is the psychoanalytic theory regarding a daughter falling in love with her father?
2. Sure to make any old-west rustler proud, Hermes stole what type of livestock from Apollo?
3. What was Heracles’ punishment for killing his own wife and children?
4. Helen of Troy’s kidnapping was the impetus to the Trojan War. What are the names of her two brothers, collectively known to us as the twins of Gemini?
5. The Golden Fleece was stolen by Jason and his Argonauts. Today, what country has the largest population of sheep?
6. The statue of the blind Lady Justice is believed to be based on the Greek Titan Themis. What two items is she most often depicted with?
7. According to everyone’s favorite fact-source Wikipedia, a pointless activity is known as Sisyphean. In myth, Sisyphus must do what to atone for his many crimes?
8. The Erinyes were three sisters who would pursue evildoers and sinners. By what Roman name are they more commonly known?
9. Prometheus was chained to a rock and had his liver eaten by a large vulture every day. What gift did he give Man that caused this punishment at the hands of the gods?
10. When Persephone broke the rules and ate some pomegranate seeds, she was forced to stay in the underworld forever as Hades’ wife. What vitamin is the pomegranate a good source in?
ROUND 6 – Music and Year (AUDIO round)
ROUND 7 – Movie
1. This 1994 western was originally planned as a six-hour mini series.
2. This 1983 horror film’s tagline was “Welcome to the third dimension in terror”.
3. Climatologist William Hyde’s review of this film stated that is was “As close to climate science as Frankenstein was to heart surgery”
4. Roger Ebert praised a pre-rehab Lindsay Lohan for her command of flawless British and American accents in this film.
5. This 1997 thriller was Tupac Shakur’s last film?
6. Famed televangelist and prostitute lover Jimmy Lee Swaggert was portrayed by Alec Baldwin in what 1989 rock ‘n roll film?
7. This 1996 fantasy film featured the first fully computer generated main character in film history.
8. The Miami Dolphins football team name was changed to the Miami Sharks for what 1999 film?
9. Astronaut Wally Schirra recently passed away. Schirra was portrayed by Lance Henriksen in what 1983 film?
10. Which actor has starred in all these films?
ROUND 8 - Picture Round
Name the beer.
3. Syria, Israel
4. Rio Grande
5. Glacial Lake Missoula
7. Black River
8. Tigris River
9. Pierre, SD
1. Sheffield, England
3. The Holy Grail
4. The Metropolitans
5. Earl Grey
7. Swords, Wands, Coins (or Pentacles)
8. Cambridge University Press
10. Carolina Hurricanes
1. Banana Republic
2. Spongebob Squarepants
3. May 21st, 1907 (between 1906-1908)
4. 4 (1995, 1997, 2000, 2001)
7. Rainier Beer
8. The OK Hotel
9. Five (there's one in Spokane but it is under different ownership and not officially a Dick's)
10. San Francisco
1. London (Jeremy)
2. Wellington (Duke of)
3. Paris (Hilton)
4. Rome (Jim)
5. Berlin (the Band)
6. Sofia (Coppola)
7. Amsterdam (from Gangs of NY)
8. Colombo (Columbo)
9. Cairo (Miguel)
10. Kingston (the Trio)
1. Electra complex
2. Cattle (or cows)
3. The Twelve Labors
4. Castor & Pollux (or Polydeuces)
6. Scales and a sword
7. Roll a boulder up a hill for all Eternity
8. The Furies
10. Vitamin C
1. Maggie May, Rod Stewart
2. Tiny Dancer, Elton John
3. What's Going On? Marvin Gaye
4. When the Levee Breaks, Led Zeppelin
5. Baba O' Riley, The Who
6. Changes, David Bowie
7. (You make me feel like) A Natural Woman, Carole King
8. Never Been to Spain, Three Dog Nighy
9. Dead Flowers, Rolling Stones
1. Wyatt Earp
2. Jaws 3-D
3. The Day After Tomorrow
4. The Parent Trap
5. Gang Related
6. Great Balls of Fire
8. Any Given Sunday
9. The Right Stuff
10. Dennis Quaid
1. Anchor Steam
8. Sierra Nevada
9. St. Pauli Girl